API was founded in 1997 by four women dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable study abroad programs for U.S. students. Their diverse experiences abroad, first as students and later as professionals, shaped their philosophy on the value of international education as a means of promoting intellectual curiosity, cultural sensitivity, and holistic personal development. API firmly believes that extensive pre-departure preparation, coupled with strong support services on-site, facilitates academic, cultural and linguistic learning. Within the supportive environment of the API programs, API students are encouraged to explore their host communities and become increasingly independent and confident in their own abilities. API also believes that study abroad should be an activity that is accessible to as many students as possible, and in that vein, seeks to include as many components in the program price as possible for students at a low cost.
API programs offer U.S. college and university students the opportunity to earn college credit toward their degree programs in the U.S. by completing coursework in a wide variety of disciplines, including such fields as business, the social sciences, medical studies and the arts. In combination with its academic offerings, API strives to maximize each student's potential for personal growth through well-designed orientation programs, extensive cultural and social outings, carefully selected housing options, and a variety of excursions. API takes student safety seriously and provides extensive safety information, medical and evacuation insurance, and 24-hour emergency access to directors on site to ensure that students stay healthy and happy abroad.
API has grown rapidly since its founding nearly 20 years ago. We now send more than 4,000 students and participants abroad annually to over 50 cities within twenty-nine countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Oceania. Our success is owed in large part to the dedication of our staff, both stateside and abroad, and the strong relationships we have cultivated with partner universities. We strive to provide individual attention to every participant and attract students from colleges and universities across the United States, public and private, large and small.
Programs from API
- APICombine classroom learning with healthcare shadowing experience in San Jose, Costa Rica! This program is ideal for students in pre-health majors or tracks and is open to all levels of Spanish speakers.
- APIStudents who choose the Multidisciplinary and Environmental Studies program at the Universidad Veritas have the opportunity to complete a Spanish language course and select from a wide variety of elective course offerings in English or Spanish.
- APIStudents who choose to study abroad in San José through API’s Language and Culture Program at the Universidad Veritas have the option to focus on improving their Spanish skills, complete elective courses in English or Spanish, or both!
- APIStudents wanting to study Spanish in the Costa Rican healthcare system are invited to participate in this program. This program runs in the summer for 6 weeks, and is designed for students concentrating in the health fields.
- APICombine learning in the classroom with community service in the city while you practice and improve your Spanish skills with API's newest summer program in Costa Rica!
- APIThis summer offers students the opportunity to improve their Spanish language skills while gaining exposure to the Costa Rican society and culture through community service while learning about sustainability in Latin America.
- APIThis program combines academics, service-learning, and cultural immersion to provide students with the opportunity to acquire in-depth knowledge of human rights, analyze challenges to environmental sustainability, and understand human development.
- APIThis program is available to students wanting to intern in Costa Rica for a short period of time. Students have the opportunity to complete a for-credit internship in business, education, health, international relations, and social work.
- APIStudy in Santiago in a bustling city surrounded by picturesque Andes mountains with an option to study alongside local Chilean students!
- APIThe Integrated Studies program at the Universidad Alberto Hurtado (UAH) offers advanced Spanish speaking students the opportunity to take courses alongside their Chilean peers.