API was founded in 1997 by four women dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable study abroad programs for U.S. students. Their diverse experiences abroad, first as students and later as professionals, shaped their philosophy on the value of international education as a means of promoting intellectual curiosity, cultural sensitivity, and holistic personal development. API firmly believes that extensive pre-departure preparation, coupled with strong support services on-site, facilitates academic, cultural and linguistic learning. Within the supportive environment of the API programs, API students are encouraged to explore their host communities and become increasingly independent and confident in their own abilities. API also believes that study abroad should be an activity that is accessible to as many students as possible, and in that vein, seeks to include as many components in the program price as possible for students at a low cost.
API programs offer U.S. college and university students the opportunity to earn college credit toward their degree programs in the U.S. by completing coursework in a wide variety of disciplines, including such fields as business, the social sciences, medical studies and the arts. In combination with its academic offerings, API strives to maximize each student's potential for personal growth through well-designed orientation programs, extensive cultural and social outings, carefully selected housing options, and a variety of excursions. API takes student safety seriously and provides extensive safety information, medical and evacuation insurance, and 24-hour emergency access to directors on site to ensure that students stay healthy and happy abroad.
API has grown rapidly since its founding nearly 20 years ago. We now send more than 4,000 students and participants abroad annually to over 50 cities within twenty-nine countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Oceania. Our success is owed in large part to the dedication of our staff, both stateside and abroad, and the strong relationships we have cultivated with partner universities. We strive to provide individual attention to every participant and attract students from colleges and universities across the United States, public and private, large and small.
Programs from API
- APIStudents studying at UCL's summer program will have the benefit of small class sizes, learning experiences in and out of the classroom, and a wide variety of subject areas to choose from! Study at one of the top 10 universities in the world with API!
- APIStudy a wide variety of arts, design, media and communications, performing arts, and more at one of England's top arts and design universities in the bustling hub of London!
- APIStudy at one of the top art and design universities in the heart of London alongside local and other international students!
- APIStudents in this program take classes with British and other international students, and have the opportunity to complete a credit-bearing internship.
- APIThe University of Westminster is divided into four campuses.Course offerings include business, computer science, education, health/human services, humanities, law, government, media and design and more. Internships are also available.
- APIThe Graduate Study Abroad program enables students from across the world to spend one semester based at the University of Westminster studying graduate modules (classes) alongside British and other international students.
- APIAPI offers three summer academic pathways at the University of Westminster: the Media, Arts and Design Summer School, the International Business Summer School, and the Liberal Arts, Sciences and Urban Summer School.
- APIAdvanced/superior level students may take up to 5 courses with Spaniards at the main campus or another campus located on the outskirts of Madrid.
- APIStudents who want to study abroad in Madrid for the January term may do so with API at Antonio de Nebrija University. This is an intensive four-week Spanish language immersion course offering 6 credits upon completion.
- APIThis program is designed for students who wish to study primarily in English, while still having the option of taking some courses in Spanish. Internships are also available.