- Shanghai, China
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
Shanghai (Hu for short), is a renowned Chinese metropolis drawing an increasing amount of international attention, investment, and envy. Perched near the Yangtze River delta, the city serves as regional hub for economic development, finance, culture, and scientific research. More than many Chinese cities, Shanghai’s “recent” history as a colonial hub has heavily influenced its makeup – both architecturally and culturally. After the 1842 Treaty of Nanking, foreign powers (including the British, French, Americans, Germans, and Russians) all moved in and put their stamp on various neighborhoods and institutions. Shanghai thrived as a cosmopolitan center (dubbed the “Paris of the East”) during the 1920s and 1930s, and escaped much of the “cultural revolution” of the 1960s. In the early 1990s Shanghai was chosen to spearhead modern China’s economic and political expansion ambitions, and today it is considered to be one of the most “international” cities in the world.
Students in this program will participate in a small Chinese language course in addition to a Chinese cultural course (conducted in English) for a total of 4 semester credits over a four-week period. Students who are interested in earning additional credit may add a 5th week for an additional fee. The Chinese language course is tactically designed to provide complete immersion into the Chinese language, culture, and way of life. The course provides modern learning techniques with interesting Chinese-related subject matter to nurture a stimulating and enjoyable language learning experience. The course focuses on phonetics, listening, speaking, reading, writing, vocabulary, and grammar appropriate to the student’s level. Chinese Culture Students will “learn by doing” through in and out-of class activities such as Chinese cultural lectures, Chinese cooking lessons, Chinese paper cutting, Taiji workshops, and visits in and around Shanghai.
Pre-Departure Services: Advising, @api Online Resources, Orientation Materials and Support, Mobile Phone, Peer Mentors, Social Networking, Scholarships On-Site Services: Airport Reception, Resident Directors and Staff, API Center, Housing (including meals and laundry with host families), Tuition, Tutoring, Language and Culture Tools, Medical and Life Insurance, Excursions (overnight and international), Social and Cultural Activities, Welcome and Farewell Group Meals, Volunteer Opportunities Re-Entry Services: Re-Entry Materials and Support, Post-Program Evaluation, Transcript, Alumni Network and Development Opportunities
- Setting Description:
- Students who choose to study abroad in Shanghai with API will take courses at East China Normal University (ECNU). ECNU a national renowned university under the direct auspices of the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China, is one of the most prestigious universities in the country. Founded in 1951, it is nationally accredited by the Ministry of Education of the PRC and a member of the prestigious 211 and 985 projects. Boasting one of the most beautiful university campuses in China, the university is reputed as the “garden university.” ECNU is a research university with an extensive range of disciplines including education, social sciences, humanities, natural sciences & technologies and administrative sciences. ECNU currently enrolls more than 30,000 students from all parts of China and abroad, of which more than 5,000 are international students. The Global China Program will be hosted in ECNU North Zhongshan Road Campus (Downtown Campus).
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.5 GPA *Open to freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors *Open to all levels of Mandarin speakers *Completed API application
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program