- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
Study, serve, and explore all that Costa Rica has to offer! Combine learning in the classroom with community service in the city while you practice and improve your Spanish skills.
Participants will begin the program in San José. Students will complete a Spanish course, as well as community service, for the first three weeks in the capital. During this time, participants will live with a local Spanish-speaking family. Students will complete the second course, Sustainability Practices, at Finca (property/farm) La Flor in Cartago. The course centers on recycling, forestry, medicinal plant gardening, permaculture, organic agriculture, forestry, clean energy and water management. Participants will live on-site at the local finca (farm). They also work alongside community members as a part of an inclusive employment program. During this time, participants use the Spanish they learned and continue to improve their language skills through Spanish Conversation Sessions. At the conclusion of the program, students will travel to the central Pacific coast for a visit to a national park and a local beach.
- Setting Description:
- Located in the central valley of Costa Rica, San José is a vibrant urban center in the heart of a serene and beautiful nation. Three volcanoes surround the city, and quaint villages, farms and coffee plantations dot the hillsides. Though the metropolitan area is home to 36% of the nation’s population, one can easily explore the smaller central area of the city and discover its neighborhood markets and local restaurants. Cultural opportunities including theater, music, cinema and dance are also abundant in San José. Visit the Museo Nacional; the Museo de Oro Precolombino, with its sparkling collection of pre-Columbian gold; or the Museo de Jade, which boasts the world’s largest collection of jade.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum of 2.5 G.P.A. *Open to rising sophomores, juniors and seniors *Open to intermediate and advanced Spanish speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program