- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
The Spanish and Community Engagement Program at ICDS offers students the opportunity to improve their Spanish language skills while gaining exposure to the Costa Rican society and culture. Students will complete 3 hours of class Monday through Thursday afternoons, following a morning spent engaging in community service.
The community service experiences will be incorporated into the classroom, through interactive exercises such as debates and presentations, as well as the completion of reflective essays, journals, blogs, etc.
Some examples of community work available include volunteering with a sustainable farm, helping at-risk children at a local school or community center, working with marginalized seniors, classifying pre-Columbian artifacts at a local museum, and working with migrant communities.
- Setting Description:
- Located in the central valley of Costa Rica, San José is a vibrant urban center in the heart of a serene and beautiful nation. Three volcanoes surround the city, and quaint villages, farms and coffee plantations dot the hillsides. Though the metropolitan area is home to 36% of the nation’s population, one can easily explore the smaller central area of the city and discover its neighborhood markets and local restaurants. Cultural opportunities including theater, music, cinema and dance are also abundant in San José. Visit the Museo Nacional; the Museo de Oro Precolombino, with its sparkling collection of pre-Columbian gold; or the Museo de Jade, which boasts the world’s largest collection of jade.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Open to rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors. *Minimum 2.75 GPA *Open to high beginner and above-level Spanish speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program