- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Spring Semester, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
Students choosing to study at the International Center for Development Studies (ICDS) complete their coursework in both English and Spanish with other American study abroad students on the campus of the Universidad Latina, Costa Rica’s largest private university. The campus is located northeast of downtown in an area of San José known as Lourdes de Montes de Oca. With its modern facilities, advanced equipment, and experienced and efficient staff, the Universidad Latina provides the perfect learning environment for the ICDS programs. Students have full access to all facilities at the Universidad Latina, including libraries, bookstores, coffee shops and a food court. Intimate class sizes provide students with ample opportunities to participate and explore areas of particular interest to them, and students who desire greater interaction with local students can seek friends from among the general Universidad Latina student population.
This program is ideal for those who want to pursue health studies in Latin America. ICDS, in partnership with Hospital Clínica Bíblica, offers an eleven-week program to provide university students in the health fields an opportunity to improve their language proficiency and interact with Spanish-speaking patients and their families, while gaining a more in-depth understanding of healthcare in Latin America.
Two of the courses offered will be taught under the care of Hospital Clínica Bíblica, Costa Rica’s largest and most prestigious private hospital with over 70 years of experience.
The program offers two weekend field study field trips around the country.
- Through the Clínica Bíblica, ICDS is able to offer students the option to observe rotations with local doctors. There will be 10 spaces available in the winter program and students will observe the doctor’s rotations on Tuesday and Thursdaymornings (so as to avoid time conflicts with coursework). The option has no credit attached to it. Interested students will be required to demonstrate an advanced level of Spanish proficiency.
- Setting Description:
- Located in the central valley of Costa Rica, San José is a vibrant urban center in the heart of a serene and beautiful nation. Three volcanoes surround the city, and quaint villages, farms and coffee plantations dot the hillsides. Though the metropolitan area is home to 36% of the nation’s population, one can easily explore the smaller central area of the city and discover its neighborhood markets and local restaurants. Cultural opportunities including theater, music, cinema and dance are also abundant in San José. Visit the Museo Nacional; the Museo de Oro Precolombino, with its sparkling collection of pre-Columbian gold; or the Museo de Jade, which boasts the world’s largest collection of jade.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A. Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors Open to students with a minimum of one year of college-level Spanish or the equivalent
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program