- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
Founded in 1991, Universidad Veritas is a private university that prides itself on the development of non-linear critical thought and creativity. The university’s mission statement emphasizes the student’s active participation in the learning process; every student is expected to play the role of protagonist in his/her own academic development. Approximately 1,700 students attend the university in any given semester. Operating programs for international students since 1993, the Universidad Veritas offers an incredible amount of academic options. Students may select Spanish language courses from the beginning to advanced levels, complete a multitude of elective coursework in Spanish or English, or enroll in art, design and architecture courses with local Costa Rican students. Students also have full access to university amenities, including extracurricular activities such as dance classes, conversation partners, volunteer work and cooking lessons.
The Intensive Language Program at the Universidad Veritas facilitates rapid acquisition of Spanish language skills. Students participating in a quarter program will complete a series of three, 4-week intensive Spanish courses. Each language course has a total of 80 contact hours; students are advised that U.S. universities may award 3-5 credits for each intensive Spanish course. All students will complete a Spanish placement test online prior to their departure to determine their Spanish level.
Students who select the early-start option in either the fall or spring quarter complete one additional 4-week intensive Spanish course prior to the start of the standard quarter program. This option is recommended for students coming from a U.S. university on the semester system.
Students in the Intensive Language Program are also welcome to select one 12-week elective course that will run concurrently with the intensive Spanish language courses. Contact hours for each elective course range from 48 to 60 hours and students are advised that their home institution could choose to award between 3-4 U.S. semester credits for each elective course.
- Setting Description:
- Located in the central valley of Costa Rica, San José is a vibrant urban center in the heart of a serene and beautiful nation. Three volcanoes surround the city, and quaint villages, farms and coffee plantations dot the hillsides. Though the metropolitan area is home to 36% of the nation’s population, one can easily explore the smaller central area of the city and discover its neighborhood markets and local restaurants. Cultural opportunities including theater, music, cinema and dance are also abundant in San José. Visit the Museo Nacional; the Museo de Oro Precolombino, with its sparkling collection of pre-Columbian gold; or the Museo de Jade, which boasts the world’s largest collection of jade.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors No previous knowledge of Spanish is required, but one semester is recommended
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program