This program offers language and culture electives in Spanish for students at the intermediate, advanced and superior levels of Spanish. Internship opportunities are also available.
- Salamanca, Spain
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Work Types:
- Arts & Architecture, Business, Education, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
- This program offers language and culture electives in Spanish for students at the intermediate, advanced and superior levels of Spanish. Students with no previous Spanish study are welcome to enroll in the different classes taught in English. Classes conducted in Spanish are not available at beginning level. Spanish Language is the only class conducted in Spanish offered at a low Intermediate level. High Intermediate, Advanced and Superior students can choose among all the different elective classes conducted in Spanish.All classes are equivalent to three U.S. semester credits. Students choose 4-5 classes per semester. All students complete a Spanish language placement exam upon arrival and are placed into the appropriate language level based on the results of this exam. Students who want to take classes in English are not required to have any previous Spanish study. In order to take electives taught in Spanish, students must place into the intermediate level or higher. ADDITIONAL CREDIT OPTIONS Students who want to refresh their Spanish skills before starting their classes can participate in the Early Start programs, which include an intensive 3 weeks of study for an additional 60 contact hours of Spanish language instruction. Pre-Departure Services: Advising, @api Online Resources, Orientation Materials and Support, Mobile Phone, Peer Mentors, Social Networking, Scholarships On-Site Services: Airport Reception, Resident Directors and Staff, API Center, Housing (including meals and laundry with host families), Tuition, Tutoring, Language and Culture Tools, Medical and Life Insurance, Excursions (overnight and international), Social and Cultural Activities, Welcome and Farewell Group Meals, Volunteer Opportunities Re-Entry Services: Re-Entry Materials and Support, Post-Program Evaluation, Transcript, Alumni Network and Development Opportunities
- Setting Description:
- Salamanca is considered one of the most spectacular Renaissance cities in Europe. It is located in central Spain, amidst a landscape strewn with battlefields and castles, in an area where the kingdoms of Castilla and Aragón first unified Spain. From these roots, “Castellano,” or “Spanish,” became dominant throughout Spain. Salamanca’s Plaza Mayor is said to be the most beautiful plaza in Spain. Throughout the centuries, the sandstone buildings have gained an exquisite golden glow that has given Salamanca the nickname “la Ciudad Dorada” – the Golden City. The breathtaking Catedral Vieja and Catedral Nueva rise above the city, overlooking the river Tormes and the Roman Bridge. The Casa de las Conchas is a stunning edifice of shells carved into golden sandstone. One experiences the history of this magical city when roaming the streets and walking through the archways of the old quarter.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. *Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors *Open to all levels (Spanish taught at intermediate level and higher)
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program