- Salamanca, Spain
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Work Types:
- Program Description:
Students who study abroad in Salamanca, Spain with API will take courses at the Universidad de Salamanca. Founded in 1218, the Universidad de Salamanca is the oldest university in Spain. Acknowledged by Pope Alexander IV to be one of the four great universities in the world, it stands in the company of the universities of Bologna, Oxford, and Paris. In 1492, King Ferdinand sought advice from Universidad de Salamanca leaders regarding the exploration venture of Christopher Columbus. One enters the University through the Patio de las Escuelas. It features the faces of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabel, and the walls are marked with the legacy of students, who, upon graduation, have written their initials in an ink of bull’s blood, olive oil, and herbs. Legend has it that there is a frog hidden in the sandstone carvings, and if one finds it, it brings good luck! Inside is the Escuelas Menores building, which houses the department for visiting students.
The Integrated Studies with Spaniards Program (PEI) offers fluent (or near native) Spanish speakers who wish to study abroad in Salamanca the opportunity to enroll directly in classes with Spaniards. This program is a great opportunity for the motivated, superior level Spanish speaker who wants to study abroad with complete immersion. Internship opportunities are available.
- Setting Description:
- Salamanca is considered one of the most spectacular Renaissance cities in Europe. It is located in central Spain, amidst a landscape strewn with battlefields and castles, in an area where the kingdoms of Castilla and Aragón first unified Spain. From these roots, “Castellano,” or “Spanish,” became dominant throughout Spain. Salamanca’s Plaza Mayor is said to be the most beautiful plaza in Spain. Throughout the centuries, the sandstone buildings have gained an exquisite golden glow that has given Salamanca the nickname “la Ciudad Dorada” – the Golden City. The breathtaking Catedral Vieja and Catedral Nueva rise above the city, overlooking the river Tormes and the Roman Bridge. The Casa de las Conchas is a stunning edifice of shells carved into golden sandstone. One experiences the history of this magical city when roaming the streets and walking through the archways of the old quarter.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. *Open to juniors and seniors (minimum 5 semesters of college-level Spanish or equivalent) *Open to superior level Spanish speakers *Completion of an oral interview
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program