This program is designed for students wanting to experience a summer in Paris and Barcelona. Students have the option of exploring Design and Food Cultures or Consumer Evolutions in Shopping and Visual Merchandising.
- Barcelona, Spain; Paris, France
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
- Paris In the first two weeks in Paris, students will be introduced to culinary design, food, and wine tastings in order to develop their own sensory categories and vocabulary. Particular attention is paid to the role of the senses both from a theoretical and an experiential point of view. Students will learn about the history of food distribution in Paris, from les Halles to R ungis and they will visit a number of markets as part of their tours of the city. They will learn about the history of restaurants and visit historic restaurants as sites for food consumption over the ages. They will have an intensive introduction to wine and cheese tastings. A visit to the Musée de Sevres and the Musée des Arts D écoratifs will provide an introduction to the history of the Arts de la Table. Barcelona During the second two weeks in Barcelona, students will be introduced to Spanish tapas through the concept of “fast, good” food design, and will also learn the tools and methodology of product design. Students will participate in sessions and field visits that put this topic in its proper historical context, and will learn about contemporary thoughts and future visions for product design. Students will also participate in workshops covering the history of food and beverage package design, and will discuss topics such as aesthetics and trends, branding, typography, materials, sustainability. Pre-Departure Services: Advising, @api Online Resources, Orientation Materials and Support, Mobile Phone, Peer Mentors, Social Networking, Scholarships On-Site Services: Airport Reception, Resident Directors and Staff, API Center, Housing (including meals and laundry with host families), Tuition, Tutoring, Language and Culture Tools, Medical and Life Insurance, Excursions (overnight and international), Social and Cultural Activities, Welcome and Farewell Group Meals, Volunteer Opportunities Re-Entry Services: Re-Entry Materials and Support, Post-Program Evaluation, Transcript, Alumni Network and Development Opportunities
- Setting Description:
- Paris is well known as one of the most intellectual and intriguing cities in the world. The city maintains its status as the premier city in France and a leader in politics, art and fashion; every section of the city has its own unique charm and makes Paris a city like no other. Barcelona is a city of contradictions: old and new intertwined, beautiful and industrial, traditional and avant-garde. Bordered by France to the north and the Mediterranean Sea to the east, Barcelona is one of the most ‘European’ of Spanish cities. Barcelona is a very cosmopolitan city that combines the latest trends with the most typical Spanish traditions. Barcelona offers museums, cinemas, restaurants, clubs, bars, the beach and the mountains, and people from all over the world.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. Open to juniors, seniors, and adult learners Non-native English speakers must provide TOEFL scores of 79 or above or IELTS scores of 6.5 or above to show proof of English proficiency
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program