- Madrid, Spain
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Work Types:
- Business, Journalism, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
Students who are interested in gaining real-world work experience while they study abroad in Spain are ideally suited for the internship and service learning options available through API at the Universidad Francisco de Vitoria (UFV). UFV is a private, Catholic university located in the northwestern Madrid suburbs by the town of Pozuelo de Alarcón. Originally a branch of Complutense University, it formally separated to become its own entity in 2001.
During the first 4 weeks of the semester, students take an intensive Spanish language course for 20 hours per week. Following this course, students take a course in contemporary Spanish society or cross-cultural communication that meets twice per week for 4 hours per day. The remainder of their time each week is spent working in an internship or service-learning placement. A personal tutor oversees the internship or service project, and students are asked to participate in regular meetings and reports on their progress. UFV has partnerships with 70 organizations for service learning projects (including placements working with disabled, elderly, children, immigrants, single mothers, and more), and agreements with over 1,000 companies for placements of all kinds in Madrid. The type of placement that a student receives may depend on his/her Spanish language level; therefore, students are encouraged to take an online placement exam prior to departure.
- Setting Description:
- Spain’s capital since 1561, Madrid is the contemporary capital of Spanish culture, finance, and industry. A large, international and cosmopolitan city, Madrid is a city of possibilities. It boasts incredible monuments and museums, including the Museo del Prado, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum and the Museo de la Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando. Visitors cannot miss the Iglesia de San Isidro, once the cathedral of Madrid, or the Palacio Real. Madrid is also known for its fountains and elaborate parks, including the glorious Parque del Retiro. The energy of Madrid is in its street life and warm people. To study in Madrid is to experience more than a classroom – it is to experience the history of Spain and its people. API gives students the chance to live and learn in this fast-paced capital city.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. *Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors *Service-learning opportunities open to advanced, and superior level Spanish speakers *Internships open to intermediate, advanced and superior level Spanish speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program