- Havana, Cuba
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
Founded in 1728, the University of Havana is the oldest university in Cuba and one of the first to be founded in the Americas. Originally a religious institution, today it hosts over 15 colleges/faculties spanning the disciplines in the natural sciences, social sciences and humanities, and business. American students are once again permitted by the U.S. government to study in this culturally rich southern neighbor. Students in Havana will have the opportunity to study Spanish language, Cuban culture, and humanitarian studies at the prestigious University of Havana (Universidad de la Habana). Come re-explore one of our closest neighbors, and experience the vibrancy of Cuba through study abroad in Havana!
Students who study abroad in Cuba with API during the summer can take Spanish courses at their level, and then depending on their level and term can take courses on "the Cuban Experience" and Cuban cinema.
- Setting Description:
- The capital and largest city of the island nation of Cuba, Havana has a long and storied past. The city was chartered by King Phillip II of Spain in 1592, and was recognized by royal decree in 1634 as the “Key to the New World.” Due to its historic role as a trading port, Havana often fell prey to attacks by pirates and buccaneers, leading to the construction of a series of forts that can still be visited today – the most famous of these being “El Morro Fortress.” The city expanded greatly during the 17th century, growing to be the third largest city in the Americas by the middle of the 18th century; indeed, it was larger than Boston and New York at the time! The 19th century saw the construction of the railroad (the fifth in the world) and of various cultural arenas (theaters, lyceum, etc.) that hosted influential exhibits and performances throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. Today the city continues to promote the arts with numerous international arts and music festivals each yea
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- *3.0 G.P.A. *Must be enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate student and under the age of 25 *Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program