- Doha, Qatar
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
API students have the amazing opportunity to study in the Islamic world and learn Arabic language and culture, while taking a variety of courses in English at Qatar University (QU). Founded in 1973 and located near the diplomatic quarter of Doha, Qatar University is one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in the region. QU bears many national, regional, American, Canadian, and other international accreditations, such as an AACSB certified business school and an ABET certified engineering school, and the university is a candidate for accreditation in the U.S. by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
The academic philosophy at QU is to preserve the tradition of the Qatari and Arab cultures while offering their 6,000 + students an education with a global perspective. In keeping with regional customs, students are divided on campus into male and female classrooms, and housing is segregated by gender as well. Courses are available in subjects such as biomedic
Students who elect to study abroad in Doha with API at Qatar University (QU) choose from courses in the science, engineering, and sports management fields open to international and Qatari students through the Direct Enrollment Track. Arabic language courses may also be available. Contact the API office for details.
- Setting Description:
- Doha is the capital of Qatar, a small peninsular nation about the size of Connecticut, located approximately halfway up the coast on the Arabian (Persian) Gulf. Over 3/4 of Qatar’s population live in Doha or the surrounding communities. The official language of the country is Arabic, though one will find it quite easy to communicate in English as well. Despite being a small nation, Qatar holds the 3rd largest natural gas reserves in the world. Since gaining independence from the U.K. on September 3, 1971, Qatar has diversified its economy in a wide range of fields, becoming one of the fastest-growing economies in the world (it is soon to overtake Switzerland as the richest nation on Earth!). Doha is an increasingly modern and cosmopolitan city, offering excellent entertainment, cultural, and sporting events (it was recently awarded the 2022 World Cup), as well as other exciting activities. Local amenities include a gorgeous waterfront promenade called the Corniche, the Museum of Islami
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. *Open to sophomores, juniors and seniors *Courses taught in Arabic open to native speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program