- Perth, Australia
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
Study abroad in Australia this summer with the AIFS Tropical Marine Biology in Australia study and travel program! This course is taught in English by faculty from Murdoch University, Perth and is worth 4 credits.
Live on campus in twin self-catering rooms in a student residence. You will also camp at the Ningaloo Reef Adventure Camp while traveling. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included during the 10-day field camp portion of the program. A welcome and farewell meal are also included in Perth.
Spend your first 6 nights and final 7 nights in Perth, with 10 nights in between at Coral Bay’s Ningaloo Reef Marine Park for a Marine Biology Field Camp.
Cultural and social activities include:
- Sightseeing tour of Perth and Fremantle
- A glass bottom boat trip
- Wildlife cruise
- Snorkeling tour
- Coral-viewing tour and wildlife interactions.
An optional 3-night visit to Sydney including a sightseeing tour and a Blue Mountains day trip is available to students on the AIFS flight package.
- Setting Description:
- What better place to study marine biology than Australia, home to some of the most diverse oceans in the world and the largest area of coral reefs. The reef is very close to the shore in many areas, meaning that you can snorkel straight from the beach. See the vast array of tropical fish and swim over coral gardens. You will also spend time in Perth, the capital of Western Australia. This cosmopolitan city situated on the banks of the Swan River offers a vibrant lifestyle with a year-round sunny climate. Offering the best of urban life in its restaurants, cafes and art galleries together with excellent beaches and access to outdoor activities including kitesurfing and sailing, Perth is a superb place to visit.
- AIFS is a premier provider of study abroad programs. Program fees cover tuition and housing, and over 50% of our study abroad participants receive financial support from AIFS in the form of scholarships or grants. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance, and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS Flight Packages with major airlines are also available.
Additional Program Information
- Open to college juniors and seniors. Minimum 2.5 GPA required (lower GPAs will be considered on a case-by-case basis). Must be 18 years or older to apply. This is a final year course at Murdoch University; ideally interested AIFS students should have completed 2 general biology units and be majoring in a related scientific field.
- Scholarships Description:
- Over 50% of our study abroad participants receive financial support from AIFS in the form of scholarships or grants. Please see website for deadlines and eligibility requirements.