- Guayaquil, Ecuador; Quito, Ecuador
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Winter Semester
- Program Description:
Earn 3 credits studying abroad in the Galápagos Islands, Ecuador this January with AIFS! Study environmental science with a 3-credit Ecosystems and Biodiversity in the Galápagos course taught at La Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ). Course is taught in English. Live in comfortable hotels while in Quito and traveling to different islands in the Galápagos and stay with a local family in a homestay while on San Cristóbal Island. Enjoy cultural activities such as guided tours and museum visits and field trips to Frigate Bird Hill, El Junco, Galapaguera – home to the famous giant tortoises, La Lobería Beach, Kicker Rock and more. A 2-day excursion to Santa Cruz Island is included as well.
- Setting Description:
- The Galápagos Islands are located 600 miles west of continental Ecuador in the Pacific Ocean. Made famous by naturalist Charles Darwin, the islands boast diverse ecology and are a hub of conservation to protect species of flora and fauna found nowhere else on Earth. San Cristóbal Island has a population of around 6,000 inhabitants, mostly living in the port city of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno. Locals are mainly involved in the tourism and fishing industries. Santa Cruz Island is home to the Charles Darwin Research Station focused on conservation and the largest human population of the Galápagos. Universidad San Francisco de Quito is a private, liberal arts university located in the capital city of Quito, Ecuador with an extension campus on San Cristóbal Island. Quito provides students with a great location to become familiar with Ecuadorian history, art and culture.
- AIFS is recognized as a premier provider of study abroad programs. Comprehensive program fees cover tuition and housing and over 50% of our students receive financial support from AIFS in the form of scholarships or grants. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS flight packages are available.
Additional Program Information
- Open to high school graduates and college freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors. Minimum 2.5 GPA (lower GPAs considered on a case-by-case basis).
- Scholarships Description:
- Over 50% of our students receive financial support from AIFS in the form of scholarships or grants. For full details, please visit: https://www.aifsabroad.com/scholarships.asp
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program