- Guayaquil, Ecuador; Quito, Ecuador
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Winter Semester
- Program Description:
Earn 3 credits over 2 weeks in the stunningly pristine Galápagos Islands, Ecuador this January. Explore the diverse ecology of this archipelago studying environmental science at Universidad San Francisco de Quito. Live in comfortable hotels while in Quito and traveling to different islands in the Galápagos and stay with a local family in a homestay while on San Cristóbal Island. Enjoy cultural activities such as guided tours and museum visits in Quito and field trips in the Galápagos to Frigate Bird Hill, El Junco, Galapaguera – home to the famous giant tortoises, La Lobería Beach to see the sea lions, Kicker Rock and more.
Earn 3 credits exploring the magnificent Galápagos archipelago and Quito, Ecuador. Study environmental science and the ecosystems of the islands in the course Ecosystems and Biodiversity in the Galápagos with hands on learning and a visit to the Charles Darwin Research Station. Round trip flights from Quito to the Galápagos and private transportation for program excursions are included while in Ecuador. Cultural and Social Activities include a welcome reception and orientation, guided tour of the Ecuadorian capital, a visit to Galápagos National Park, a 2-day excursion to Santa Cruz Island and more.
- Setting Description:
- The Galápagos Islands are located 600 miles west of continental Ecuador in the Pacific Ocean. Made famous by naturalist Charles Darwin, the islands boast diverse ecology and are a hub of conservation to protect species of flora and fauna found nowhere else on Earth. San Cristóbal Island has a population of around 6,000 inhabitants, mostly living in the port city of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno. Locals are mainly involved in the tourism and fishing industries. Santa Cruz Island is home to the Charles Darwin Research Station focused on conservation and the largest human population of the Galápagos. Universidad San Francisco de Quito is a private, liberal arts university located in the capital city of Quito, Ecuador with an extension campus on San Cristóbal Island. Quito provides students with a great location to become familiar with Ecuadorian history, art and culture.
- AIFS is recognized as a premier provider of study abroad programs. Comprehensive program fees cover tuition and housing with $800,000 in scholarship and grant funding available each year. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS flight packages are available.
Additional Program Information
- Open to high school graduates and college freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors. Minimum 2.5 GPA (lower GPAs considered on a case-by-case basis). Course taught in English. Application deadline: September 15
- Scholarships Description:
- $800,000 in funding available each year. For full details, please visit: https://www.aifsabroad.com/scholarships.asp
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program