- Florence, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Spend a semester or academic year in the classic city of Florence, Italy with AIFS! You’ll earn up to 16 credits per semester through a variety of courses studying at Richmond University in Florence. Courses are taught in English or Italian with no previous Italian language study required.
A 3-credit Service Learning and Active Citizenship course is available for students wishing to volunteer in Florence. This course is combined with 9-12 weeks of fieldwork. After completing this course, you will receive a certificate acknowledging your valuable contribution to the city of Florence. Other volunteer placements are also available outside of this course.
While abroad in Florence, you’ll live in a homestay with an Italian family or in a fully furnished Italian apartment with 9 other AIFS students. A meal plan is included and has been deemed a highlight of the Florence program with almost 100% of students rating it as “excellent” or “good.” The plan includes 10 vouchers per week that can be used in local restaurants, coffee shops, delis and supermarkets.
Cultural and social activities can include guided city walks, visits to the many museums, churches and cultural sites of Florence, Italian cooking classes, opera and ballet performances, Italian cheese tastings, a gelato tour, and day trips to Pisa, Lucca, the Vespa Factory and more. A 3 to 5-day field trip to Rome is included in your program fee, as well as a 2-day field trip to Venice.
A 2-night tour of London, England is included for students on the AIFS Flight Package.
- Setting Description:
- In Florence, artistic, cultural and historic richness is ever present. With the Ponte Vecchio and the Duomo creating a wonderful backdrop, it is no surprise that so many famous artists attempt to recreate this beautiful city. Learn how to make pasta from scratch or experience a typical trattoria, where you can find some of the best food in Italy. Whatever your tastes, Florence is the perfect city to acquire a genuine experience of Italian life and culture.
- AIFS is a premier provider of study abroad programs. Program fees cover tuition and housing, and over 50% of our study abroad participants receive financial support from AIFS in the form of scholarships or grants. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance, and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS Flight Packages with major airlines are also available.
Additional Program Information
- Open to college sophomores, juniors, and seniors. No previous Italian language study required. 2.5 GPA for Traditional Academic and Fashion Management and Marketing Programs. Must be 18 years or older to apply.
- Scholarships Description:
- Over 50% of our study abroad participants receive financial support from AIFS in the form of scholarships or grants. Please see website for deadlines and eligibility requirements.
Based on 1 Reviews
- Review of AIFS, Florence semester program12/07/16
Studying abroad through AIFS was absolutely fantastic! I could not have chosen a better program. Housing was amazing, so close to the city. I was in a cute, authentic neighborhood away from the touristy areas. I had a full bed! There was an incredible,
cheap meal program that allowed us to try 25+ restaurants all over Florence. It was magical! I lived all by Italians. Every day I went to coffee shops and cafés full of Italian people. I got to know the workers and practiced my Italian. Dinners with Italians also allowed me to meet locals. I also never ever felt unsafe in Florence. There are almost always people around, and the city is brightly lit at night. All the logistics went very smoothly, there was so much on sight support. You could tell the local staff loved their job and wanted us to have the best experience possible. They plan a trip to Venice for you! There are so many activities you can do. I loved how much I got to practice my Italian. My Italian class was actually my favorite class I took. The teachers was absolutely wonderful, and she hosted a dinner party at her house at the end of the year.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend