- Florence, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Spend a semester or academic year in the classic city of Florence with AIFS and earn up to 16 credits. Live in a homestay or a shared student apartment and enjoy activities such as guided city walks, visits to the many museums, churches and cultural sites of Florence, Italian cooking classes, opera and ballet performances, Italian cheese tastings, a gelato tour, and day trips to Pisa, Lucca, the Vespa Factory and more. AIFS in Florence includes a 3-day trip to Rome, a 2-day trip to Venice, and a day trip to Siena.
You’ll earn up to 16 credits through a variety of courses studying at Richmond, the American International University. Courses are taught in English or Italian, and no previous Italian language study is required. A one-week orientation before the semester is included. A Fashion Management and Marketing Program (Spring only) is also available. Volunteer opportunities are available and students can enhance their volunteer work with a for-credit Service Learning & Active Citizenship course.
The Internship Program available allows students to acquire skills and strengths essential to the development of personal confidence and the ability to relate work experience to classroom situations. Richmond has specifically designed the International Internship Program to combine an academic program and individual attention with a unique opportunity to spend up to 13 weeks working in Florence-based organizations.
- Setting Description:
- In Florence, artistic, cultural and historic richness is ever present. With the Ponte Vecchio and the Duomo creating a wonderful backdrop, it is no surprise that walking along the Arno River you come across artists attempting to capture this beautiful city. You can learn how to make pasta from scratch or experience a typical trattoria, where you can find some of the best food in Italy. Whatever your tastes, Florence is the perfect city to acquire a genuine experience of Italian life and culture.
- AIFS is a premier provider of study abroad programs. Program fees cover tuition and housing, with $800,000 in scholarship and grant funding available each year. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS Flight Packages with major airlines are also available.
Additional Program Information
- Open to college sophomores, juniors and seniors. No previous Italian language study required. 2.5 GPA for Traditional Academic and Fashion Management and Marketing Programs. Minimum 2.75 GPA (Internship Program).
- Scholarships Description:
- Please see website for deadlines and eligibility requirements.
Based on 1 Reviews
- Review of AIFS, Florence semester program12/07/16
Studying abroad through AIFS was absolutely fantastic! I could not have chosen a better program. Housing was amazing, so close to the city. I was in a cute, authentic neighborhood away from the touristy areas. I had a full bed! There was an incredible,
cheap meal program that allowed us to try 25+ restaurants all over Florence. It was magical! I lived all by Italians. Every day I went to coffee shops and cafés full of Italian people. I got to know the workers and practiced my Italian. Dinners with Italians also allowed me to meet locals. I also never ever felt unsafe in Florence. There are almost always people around, and the city is brightly lit at night. All the logistics went very smoothly, there was so much on sight support. You could tell the local staff loved their job and wanted us to have the best experience possible. They plan a trip to Venice for you! There are so many activities you can do. I loved how much I got to practice my Italian. My Italian class was actually my favorite class I took. The teachers was absolutely wonderful, and she hosted a dinner party at her house at the end of the year.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend