The educational promise - To provide students with the conceptual, perceptual and concrete skills that will enable them to originate meaningful narrative concepts and human behaviors that are relevant to target audiences and to truthfully and accurately
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- Program Type:
- Full Degree
- Degree Level:
- Accounting, Accounting, Accounting, Accounting
- Program Description:
- AFDA graduates are taught to conceptualize, create and develop indigenous products and commodities for the local and international market.
In the course of a rich entrepreneurial history dating back to 1994, AFDA has earned a reputation as one of the leading institutions of its kind in the world today. Although our track record speaks for itself, we continually renew our commitment to facilitate an environment that develops high-quality human and intellectual property with the relevant skills to deal with the rigors of a fast-expanding and ever-changing entertainment industry.
At our fully equipped campuses in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Botswana, we train graduates to contribute to one of the largest growth industries in the world: entertainment. In the globalised economy, cultural exchange is a valuable currency. AFDA graduates are taught to conceptualize, create and develop indigenous products and commodities for the local and international market.
Our students are educated not only to forge profitable and sustainable careers in this market, but are encouraged to develop themselves as employment providers - the cultural entrepreneurs of the future. Our alumni have reinvigorated their industries with the quality of their intellectual property, skill and talent. More than 90% of our Honours alumni are working and employed in their chosen field of specialization.
AFDA films are exhibited at numerous international festivals and have been broadcast worldwide, winning many prestigious awards, including the Student Academy Award winner and Cannes festival finalist in 2006 and a SAFTA (South African Film and Television Award) in 2007. AFDA is a full member of CILECT - the International Association of Accredited Film and Television Schools.
AFDA now also offers degree programmes in Business Innovation and Computer Technology plus an amazing GAP year in Film, Television and Entertainment Production.
The educational promise - To provide students with the conceptual, perceptual and concrete skills that will enable them to originate meaningful narrative concepts and human behaviors that are relevant to target audiences and to truthfully and accurately deliver these narratives through appropriate use of medium and aesthetic form and the employment of resources to accurately and economically produce and sell the completed production. Programmes offered - Higher Certificate in Film, Television and Entertainment Production Bachelor of Arts in Live Performance (undergraduate and postgraduate) Bachelor of Arts in Motion Picture Medium (undergraduate and postgraduate) Bachelor of Commerce in Business Innovation Bachelor of Science in Computer Technology Master of Fine Arts in Motion Picture Medium
AFDA educational objectives - 1 - To provide conceptual, perceptual and concrete skills that will enable students to originate meaningful narrative concepts and to understand why these might be relevant and the impact they may have on target audiences and society in general. 2 - To understand why human behavior and culture are the agent through which narratives are embodied and made emotionally relevant to target audiences. 3 - To understand how their chosen medium of expression can be considered and used to truthfully and accurately produce their narrative. 4 - To understand how aesthetic elements might be used to establish and produce the appropriate form of the world in which the narrative is set. 5 - To understand how to plan and employ resources to economically produce and sell a production to achieve return on investment.
- Setting Description:
- AFDA was established in Johannesburg in 1994 and is currently situated on a 10 000 square metre campus within a stone's throw of the national TV broadcaster, the SABC. Also known as Egoli ('place of gold') or Jozi, it is South Africa's go-to-go TV production kitchen, and enjoys sunny weather all year round. Fondly known as Jo'burgers, the six million strong population of this vibrant melting pot includes all major Southern African ethnicities, plus thousands of Western, Eastern and Central Africans and EU residents. Cape Town, the Mother City, is widely recognised as one of the most beautiful places on earth. It is home to three world heritage sites: the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, Table Mountain and Robben Island. The city's pristine beaches and watersports havens, and the waters around the Cape Peninsula are a whale-watchers paradise. Established in 2003, AFDA Cape Town is situated in Observatory on a 7000 square metre site in a quaint historical area just outside the CBD where
- Please refer to our website under the "support" section for more information on fees or contact the International Affairs Officer.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program