The Glass Art Department at Accademia Riaci in Florence, Italy considers glass to be an artist's material having remarkable and complex expressive range, as well as a studio discipline with limitless potential and a unique history that incorporates sculpt
- Florence, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, MayMester Intersession, Rolling Starts, Spring Break, Spring Semester, Summer, Winter Semester, Year Round
- Program Description:
- It's a complete course to achieve a comprehensive and extensive knowledge of your specialty, encompassing several techniques and approaches. The course doesn't focus specifically on one subject, it rather gives you an overall hands-on training in the field of Glass Art.
It's a program open also to beginners.
There are not specific admission requirements for this course.
Following, the main techniques you can learn in our Glass Art programs:
- STAINED GLASS: the typical technique you see in many churches windows. You will learn how to make this glass directly from local artisans. It's possible to create all forms of glass work, such as: wall decoration, lamp, jewelry box, decorated mirrors, etc.
- TIFFANY copper foil technique: it's a particular type of stained glass technique for small objects. It's a combination of copper foil and pieces of colored glass;
- MOSAIC: is the art of creating images with an assemblage of small pieces of colored glass, stone, or other materials;
- SANDBLASTING ("Sabbiatura"): Sandblasting is a generic term for the process of smoothing, shaping and cleaning a hard surface by forcing solid particles across that surface at high speeds. This technique is very specific and it requires a long time to be mastered. *In case you are interested in this, I have to check the availability for that period;
- GLASS-FUSING: Fused glass is glass that has been fired (heat-processed) in a kiln at a range of high temperatures from 593 °C. Fused glass techniques are generally used to create art glass, glass tiles, and jewelry, notably beads. Slumping techniques allow the creation of larger, functional pieces like dishes, bowls, plates, and ashtrays
The Glass Art Department at Accademia Riaci in Florence, Italy considers glass to be an artist's material having remarkable and complex expressive range, as well as a studio discipline with limitless potential and a unique history that incorporates sculpture, architecture, design, craft and decorative art. The department is a specific Tiffany Style stained glass, mosaic and fusion program that combines this rich and diverse heritage with an unending material and process investigation of glass, and a corresponding commitment to conceptual development and artistic criticality. The glass department provides its students with a thorough technical foundation and broad resources for specialized material exploration. HANDS-ON TRAINING Professional local artisans as your teachers Creation of your own hand-made art work
Art visits on Fridays, Computer and Free Wifi available in the school building, English/Italian/Spanish interpreter service, Student support, Italian language lessons, Internship placement, collaboration with local companies/laboratories TYPOLOGIES OF PROGRAM We offer several courses that vary in level, duration and intensity of the study: - One Year Course (Basic/Atelier/Specialty) - Master Course - Short courses - Summer intensive courses *For further details, please inquire directly to our staff
- Setting Description:
- The school is located in the historical centre of Florence, a few steps from the Church of St. Lorenzo and a few minutes' work from the central station and the Duomo. School building is a historical structure built for a queen. Lessons are held in the school's atelier and at actual laboratory of the instructor to gets hands-on experience.
- Art Short Course:please inquire directly; Intensive Course:please inquire directly; One-year Course:15,000 Euro; Atelier Course:12,000 Euro; Master Course:16,000 Euro Internship: Please inquire