- Dakar, Senegal
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
Discover Dakar, Sengal this summer with APA's six week immersive summer program. This Francophone coastal capital city is home to fishing and manufacturing industries, a strong export business, and is a burgeoning tourist destination. APA begins the program with a comprehensive three-day orientation to introduce and prepare students for their upcoming term. Please vist the APA website for the program's start and end dates.
- Choose two courses, taught in French, from: Interacting in a Francophone World: Advanced French Language for Intermediate Speakers; Oral & Written African Literature: Ideas, Themes and Meanings; West African Economics and Development; Senegal Today: Striking a Balance Between a Traditional and Modern Society; and Contemporary Western African Art: Visual Art, Film and Music.
- Customized, individual weekly language support
- Ongoing academic support with methodology sessions, proofreading sessions, and course-specific tutoring
- Four tickets to the performing arts: concert, dance, theater, film
- Day trips and a weekend excursion
- African dance and drums workshop
- Weekly volunteer opportunities
- Conversational Wolof classes
- Each student will stay with a carefully selected host family
Extend Your Stay 2 More Weeks
Consider staying in Dakar for a total of eight weeks and choose to use your time by:
- Taking an intensive language course in Wolof
- Participate in an internship
- Pursue an independent study overseen by a local faculty member in your desired field of study
- Setting Description:
- The capital city of Senegal, Dakar is the westernmost point in mainland Africa. Home to a multitude of businesses, regional banks, NGOs, and a hub for education and the arts in West Africa, Senegal is one of the most economically and politically stable countries in the continent.
- Please visit the APA website for up-to-date program fees.
Additional Program Information
- 2.75 GPA, sophomore standing and above, 3+ semesters of college-level French or equivalent
- Scholarships Description:
- Three scholarships are available for both academic year/fall semester and spring semester students: logistical, merit, and new media. To apply, visit our website.
Based on 1 Reviews
- Dakar: Experiencing Francophone West Africa in Senegal08/15/18
As an African Studies and French Language student, one of my biggest complaints was the lack of French-language study abroad programs outside of the Western world, until I found APA Senegal. The program's course content gives students an in-depth experience
in a rich culture and the opportunity to make connections to locals (many of which I keep in contact with and miss very much). Living with a host family was a very effective way to improve skills in speaking French, and I felt much more comfortable with the language after completing the program. Academics are very rigorous but students will learn a LOT of new information in their classes, not only in French language but about local culture, economics, and analytical skills. I highly recommend this program and definitely do not regret choosing APA or Senegal.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend