- Dakar, Senegal
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
A hub of economic, culture and humanitarian activities, Dakar, Senegal is buzzing with energy.
French language immersion is possible in the heart of Francophone West Africa for a semester or academic year. Through APA Dakar, students are directly enrolled at the Institut Supérieur de Management (ISM), Senegal's first private business higher education institution.
All students follow four courses, each taught in French. APA awards four credit hours per course. Additionally, benefit from 1:1 weekly French language support where students meet with the French instructor to polish oral and written comprehension and expression skills. Academic advising and support is also arranged.
Students can follow courses from the following ISM schools:
- School of Management
- School of Engineering
- Madiba Leadership Institute (social sciences)
- Choose to replace one course with an independent study/research
Each semester, classes are paused for Entrepeneurship Week. ISM arranges humanitarian and entrepreneurial projects during these seven days.
Throughout the semester, the cultural calendar always has something for students to do!
- Monthly performance (theater, concert, film, etc.)
- Day trip to Gorée Island
- Weekend excursion to Sine Saloum Delta (fall semester)
- Weekend excursion to Saint Louis (spring semester)
- African arts seminars
- Weekly Wolof lessons
Each student is carefully matched with a local host family. Board includes daily breakfast and dinner and weekly laundry.
24/7 on-site support for all questions big and small, inside the classroom and out.
- Setting Description:
- The capital city of Senegal, Dakar is the westernmost point in mainland Africa. Home to a multitude of businesses, regional banks, NGOs, and a hub for education and the arts in West Africa, Senegal is one of the most economically and politically stable countries in the continent.
Additional Program Information
- 3.0 GPA, sophomore standing and above, B1-B2 French language level and above (3-4 or more semesters of college-level French or equivalent)
- Scholarships Description:
- There are two scholarships available: Social Media Leadership and Visual Media. For application requirements, award amounts, and deadlines, visit our website.