Volunteer at a local orphanage on the outskirts of Arusha. We work with two orphanages, each having 15-25 children, mainly 4yr-15yrs old. The orphanages are run by a loving dedicated couple who opened their hearts to the vulnerable kids and orphans. Th
- Arusha, Tanzania, United Republic of
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Education, Health, Social Services
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 1 year
- Program Description:
- Arusha is located in northern highlands of Tanzania and is surrounded by some of Africa's most celebrated landscapes and national parks. The bustling town lies in the shadow of Mount Meru on the eastern edge of the eastern branch of the Great Rift Valley.
Arusha is called the safari capital of the country, and hosts many international visitors embarking on the popular northern safari circuit. With its pleasant year round climate and close proximity to Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara, Olduvai Gorge, Tarangire National Park, and Mount Kilimanjaro, Arusha is considered a great place to visit and volunteer. We offer volunteer placements within Arusha town, and in the surrounding rural communities. Arusha has its own airport, mainly serviced by domestic flights from within Tanzania. International travelers mainly arrive at the Kilimanjaro International Airport.
Volunteer at a local orphanage on the outskirts of Arusha. We work with two orphanages, each having 15-25 children, mainly 4yr-15yrs old. The orphanages are run by a loving dedicated couple who opened their hearts to the vulnerable kids and orphans. They provide shelter, food, love and education to orphans, abandoned and street children of surrounding community. Construction: Volunteers are needed for the on-going construction and expansion projects at local orphanages and for primary schools in disrepair. Volunteers work along side skilled and unskilled local workers. Tasks including digging holes, stacking bricks, hauling rocks and dirt, cement work, painting. Prior experience is not necessary, but skilled workers are very welcome.
HIV / Aids Awareness and Care Campaign, Arusha Work with a local grassroots HIV/Aids organization helping in rural communities around Arusha. As a volunteer you will support the home based care projects to hundreds of families living with HIV/Aids including teaching about nutrition and health, providing food, basic amenities and micro-grants, cleaning and caring for the patients.
- Setting Description:
- Teaching Opportunities, Arusha Teachers are need to help in an orphan school outside Arusha. Volunteers support local teachers that provide free education to orphans and vulnerable children in the community. Volunteers needed to teach English and mathematics. Placement also available in primary schools in the rural communities.
- Medical / nursing students will be placed in a private teaching hospital in Arusha. You will have the chance to shadow in different departments including: pediatrics, obstetrics / gynecology, General Medicine, and surgery. The type of hands on work you will be allocated will depend to an extent on your own abilities and capabilities, which is understandable given that you will be dealing with patient health and safety. You will be involved in aspects of the day-to-day running of the hospitals, o
Additional Program Information