These programs focus on education and are based in the Eastern Province in a rural community about 1 hour from Kigali, the capital city. The education program supports pre-school classes, as well as youth in vocational training school. These projects foc
- Kigali, Rwanda
- Program Type:
- Teach Abroad
- Degree Level:
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 1 year
- Teach Abroad:
- Placement Audience:
- 15-18 years old
- Program Description:
- Rwanda is a landlocked country surrounded by Uganda in the north, Tanzania in the east, Burundi in the south, and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to its west and northwest. Known as 'the land of a thousand hills', Rwanda is a lovely country with various landscapes including volcanic mountains, high and low altitude forests, open savannah and even beautiful lakeside beaches. It is also home to the world-famous mountain gorillas.
These programs focus on education and are based in the Eastern Province in a rural community about 1 hour from Kigali, the capital city. The education program supports pre-school classes, as well as youth in vocational training school. These projects focus on the provision of training and education for young people who are unable to access government-funded education. The programs are committed to protecting the human rights of children in Rwanda, eradicating any form of child labor and offering even the most disadvantaged child the chance of a good education.
2) Vocational / Secondary: The center offers schooling and boarding facilities for poor and disadvantaged teens and youth in the community. There are dormitories for boys and girls, and typically 80 full time students at any time. Subject focus: Tailoring, mechanics, welding and construction. As well as vocational training, subjects taught include English and French lessons, and social education (HIV/AIDS and other health issues, hygiene and nutrition) Volunteers would focus on improving English of the students (16-21yrs old) through assisting with or teaching the English syllabus. Volunteers are needed to lead classes, or assist the teachers in the class room. Volunteers can focus on individual children, or small groups to provide special attention and added support particularly in English lessons. Volunteers may also help develop skills of teaching staff in English language and computing.
- Setting Description:
- 1) Pre-School: The school is providing free care and education for disadvantaged children between the ages of 3 and 6 years. Most of the children come from one parent homes, are orphans, or are from child-headed households. There are about 50 children being provided education and also food each day. Classes including constructive play time, and classroom learning reading, writing, shapes, colors, numbers and social harmony. Lessons are taught in Kinyarwanda (language) and children are also taught some basic English (where our volunteers come in handy!) This school operates weekday mornings.
- Program Includes: ABV Project Director will provide airport pick up in Kigali airport. Accompanied transportation to program location: orientation briefing on arrival, introduction to work placement and housing arrangement. Departure transfer to Kigali at the end of the program. ABV Project Director is available 24/7 in case of emergency, advice or assistance. Costs are on our website.
Additional Program Information
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program