In spite of the growing tourist boom, most people in Nicaragua live below the poverty line. Most children lack an opportunity for a decent education, with almost 50% of families living well below the poverty line. We offer orphanage, child care, special n
- Managua, Nicaragua
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Education, Health, Social Services
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months
- Program Description:
- Our programs in Nicaragua give you an extraordinary opportunity to experience the fascinating culture in Central American's largest, democratic republic country. Although Nicaragua has a shadowed past, however today it is considered one of the safest countries in the Americas.
Nicaragua – bordered by Honduras to the north and Costa Rica to the south, with coasts on both the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean. Nicaragua has three distinct regions: the Atlantic Lowlands, the North-Central Highlands and the Pacific Lowlands each possessing a unique climate and geography.
In spite of the growing tourist boom, most people in Nicaragua live below the poverty line. Most children lack an opportunity for a decent education, with almost 50% of families living well below the poverty line. We offer orphanage, child care, special needs project and teaching placements throughout the city. With our volunteer program we allow you to discover the wonders of Nicaragua, while doing meaningful community work. This is a great opportunity to enhance your Spanish knowledge, live with the locals and realize one person can make a difference. We offer the following programs in Managua: Program Length: From 1 week to 12 weeks Program Date: Flexible Start & End Date (except school terms) Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8 hour per day Accommodations: Local Homestay Meals: Yes, 3 meals a day Requirements: 18 years+ basic conversational Spanish. Arrival Airport: Managua (Code:MGA)
The classes are limited to small groups or individuals, and focus in conversation practice, grammar, readings and the local vocabulary. The lessons are provided 4 hours every day, a total of 20 hours per week Monday through Friday. You attend classes in the morning or afternoon, and the rest of your day you will volunteer at any of the local programs, while you practice your Spanish. Arrival transportation with meet and greet in Managua Host Family accomodation with private bedroom, sometimes shared with other volunteer. 3 meals a day 7 days a week 20 hours Spanish language classes (4hrs per day) with professional instructors + 4 hours volunteering Learning materials provided including learning material 20 hours of volunteering in a local community center (4hrs per day) Orientation and sightseeing day in Managua Project Director available 24/7 for support and guidance Departure transfer at the end of the program
- Setting Description:
- Child Care Center Hours: Monday to Friday. 6:30am - 5:30pm. We work with a daycare center and preschool which provide free child care, education and food to approximately 120 babies and little kids daily. Many poor women, especially single mothers, have to work all day, but have nowhere to place their children. Currently the center looks after 15 babies, 30 toddlers (1-2yrs) and 65 pre-school children (3-6yrs).
- Womans' Support Center Hours: Monday to Friday. 8:00am - 5:30pm. A center set up to provide opportunities for girls, children, and adult women of low income for basic studies, technical, artistic and cultural, to access the formal and informal education. All teaching of the Cultural Center has the overall objective of facilitating economic independence, individual dignity and the discovery of one's own abilities and classmates. Please check our Cost page on our website.
Additional Program Information
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program